IFERS - Exposing the 'Global' Conspiracy From Atlantis to Zion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)

+49
FiachraW
markwilson
nowhereelsetogo
AlmightySavoisien88
Russian Blue Cat
MMDC
turtleexpress
Dab_Tsog
Dual1ty
RisinHorizon
observer
Torus_Ouroboros
Bro
Amitchelld
Realearth
Dabbin Good
tristancobane
iwanttobefree
starfox42
Real World
Slingshot
superuserdo
Zer0R
Lightning_Peasant
Honestly
Wisdom1
liamhendo1990
Just Vital
Shattered
Foreverlearning
Illuminati? You mean jewz
thugnastylol
Schpankme
ShillKiller
anarcho vegan
vortexpuppy
putontheglassesagain
gb9
Kostas
Wondering Man
vortexkitten
mitch
Beashambassador
csp
Thinkforyourself
biggambler
Paranoid Gramdroid
lizardking
Admin
53 posters

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)  - Page 6 Empty Re: Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Posted by lizardking on 09/04/2015
What are everyone's thoughts on Dr Garth Davis' stance on gluten/whole grain wheat?

So gluten sensitivity does not actually exist. I suspected it did not because people who have "gluten sensitivity" have no elevation in inflammation, negative biopsies of their intestines, and no antibodies to gluten. They have no objective findings at all.

The scientists who partly contributed to the gluten fear were not happy with their initial studies because the people who complained of GI distress while eating gluten were also eating other foods that could have caused the GI distress.

They organized the gold standard study: a prospective randomized placebo controlled trial. They had 3 groups and provided all of the food to these people who claimed to be gluten sensitive. The food was free of all the types of foods known to cause gas and distress. One group was given food with high gluten, one was given low gluten, and one received no gluten. None of the groups knew if they were eating gluten.

Guess what. They ALL complained of GI symptoms. There was no difference between the no gluten placebo and the high gluten consumers. In other words it is unlikely that gluten has an effect.

Of course that won't stop all the wheat belly, grain brain zealots. They rarely let science get in their way.

Source: Biesiekierski JR, Peters SL, Newnham ED, Rosella O, Muir JG, Gibson PR. "No effects of gluten in patients with self-reported non-celiac gluten sensitivity after dietary reduction of fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates." Gastroenterology. 2013 Aug;145(2):320-8.e1-3. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.04.051. Epub 2013 May 4.

And yet another great study on wheat. This time they took people who did not eat much wheat and gave them pretty hefty doses. This was a crossover study meaning they alternated the subjects between high and low consumption. Unlike what you may read in popular, very unscientific books, the subjects did not become sick or develop inflammation. Actually the trend was to decreased inflammation.

Bottom line from these recent studies, and many other studies, is that whole grain wheat and natural carbs are not at all bad for you, and avoiding them means avoiding foods that have lots of nutritional value.

Ampatzoglou A, Williams CL, Atwal KK, Maidens CM, Ross AB, Thielecke F, Jonnalagadda SS, Kennedy OB, Yaqoob P. Effects of increased wholegrain consumption on immune and inflammatory markers in healthy low habitual wholegrain consumers. Eur J Nutr. 2015;.

The responses to my last post about grain brain are troubling and sad. People say they are fed up with the medical establishment and big pharma and so I should believe someone from the outside.

I have been very critical of western medicine and big pharma. Just the other day I posted about the problems with food industry buying scientists.

BUT that doesn't mean that there is no good science, and it certainly doesn't mean you should believe any charlatan with a fancy web page pedaling new miracle products.

People say they felt better when they stopped eating gluten and lost weight. THere is absolutely no possible way that switching from gluten to equal calorie non gluten option would make you lose weight.

People lose weight because many gluten containing foods are crappy foods, often loaded with fat. Cut out junk food and feel better. Not rocket science.

The study below is a non biased excellently designed prospective randomized trial where they gave people who had gluten intolerance meals that may or may not have gluten. People complained of gluten sensitivity problems even when no gluten was present.

If you don't want to eat gluten fine. Certainly isn't necessary, but putting faith in a guy who has no proof and has told many lies is just dumb.

The healthiest people in the world do not avoid gluten and do not take vegetable pills it special miracle supplements. They eat plants. Fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, and grains. TONS of evidence that these food items are true medicine. No fancy guru's to sell you any products. No money to be made. Just plain old truth.

We don't have to become anti-intellectual and give up on science. We need to allow all possibilities but also put those possibilities to reliable tests.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23648697/

"I'm a little uneducated about this subject matter as is this true for a celiac ?? Can they still consume gluten?"
"No. Celiac is a real and must avoid gluten."

"Ryan Johnson Dr. Davis when you speak in absolutes about a subject that seems to be genetically specific to quote you "there is absolutely no possibly way that switching from gluten to equal calorie non gluten option would make you lose weight", it makes it really hard to trust what you are saying. The last doctors that spoke in absolute to me told me that my triglycerides were high because of my genetics and that I would have to be on statins the rest of my life. I proved them wrong by quitting almost all forms of sugar and now have great triglycerides. This is just the first impression I am getting from some of your posts. I really have not followed you that long but I did enjoy your interview on Rich Rolls."
"There are certainly variations in what foods people tolerate but there are rules. Just like gravity is a rule. This has been tested extensively. If you eat equal calories of donuts or fruits or meats or whatever, then you will have the same weight response. There is no miracle weight loss that certain food components, or avoidance, provide."

As I sit here still researching data for my book, I marvel at the popularity of ridiculous pop culture books that have little to no research whatsoever. Wheat Belly may be one of the least researched books I have read and yet it is a best seller!!!!

This is a good review.

Ignore Grain Brain and Wheat Belly: Eat WHOLE Grains

December 29, 2013
by Gabe Mirkin, MD

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis and Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter are two best-selling books that tell you to avoid wheat and other grains. Dr Davis claims that wheat makes you fat and causes many diseases, and by eliminating wheat you will lose weight and prevent these diseases. Actually, he proposes a low-carbohydrate diet that may cause you to lose weight, but he does not have data to show that it helps you keep that weight off over time. He and Dr. Perlmutter both claim that avoiding wheat cures diseases, but they have no data to support these wild claims, except in the small minority of people who suffer from an intolerance to gluten called celiac disease. Scientific research does show that ANY diet that reduces calories and causes weight loss helps prevent diabetes and heart attacks.

No Data Shows That Whole Wheat Causes Obesity
Dr. Davis writes in his introduction: “I’d like to make the case that foods made with wheat make you fat . . . wheat consumption is the main cause of the obesity and diabetes crisis in the United States.” That is his opinion. He has no data to show that wheat causes obesity or diabetes. Furthermore, he fails to make a distinction between refined and unrefined foods.

What are Refined Carbohydrates?
Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other seeds are rich sources of carbohydrates. Most of these foods have fiber and many have a capsule structure that delay absorption to prevent a high rise in blood sugar. However, when these foods are crushed, ground, juiced or otherwise processed, or when the fiber is removed, they become very easy to absorb and cause a high rise in blood sugar to increase risk for obesity.

Huge Difference Between WHOLE Grains and Foods Made from Flour
Contrary to what Dr. Davis claims, most studies show that unrefined wheat can prevent weight gain and obesity. Whole grains prevent diabetes and weight gain because they do not cause a high rise in blood sugar (American Journal of Epidemiology, 2003:58(3):243-250; American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, online Dec. 12, 2012; American Society for Nutrition, July, 2013). Studies on animals and humans show that whole grains increase insulin sensitivity and help prevent and treat diabetes and heart attacks (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2003;78(5):965-971).

Whole grains are seeds of grasses. They have such a thick capsule that your body can’t break them down and you can’t eat them unless they are softened by cooking. Blood sugar after eating whole grains is relatively flat. On the other hand, when you grind a whole grain into flour, you break the capsule, and foods made with flour cause a much higher rise in blood sugar. Dr. Davis is misleading when he uses data on foods made from flour (bakery products and pastas) to “prove” that wheat is harmful. See WHOLE grains are better than any flour.

Why a High Rise in Blood Sugar Is Harmful
Foods can be classified by glycemic load, a measure of how high a person’s blood sugar rises after eating a particular food. Foods that cause a high rise in blood sugar are associated with increased risk for obesity, heart attacks, strokes, and premature death. When blood sugar levels rise too high, sugar sticks to the outer surface of cell membranes. Once there, it cannot get off. The attached sugar is eventually converted to sorbitol that destroys the cell and can damage every kind of cell in the body. That is why high blood sugar can lead to dementia, nerve damage, impotence, cancer, heart attacks, strokes and so forth.

A high rise in blood sugar causes the pancreas to release large amounts of insulin. Insulin converts sugar to triglycerides, a fat that can be stored in your body to make you fat. Refined carbohydrates cause a high rise in blood sugar, while wheat berries and other whole grains do not cause a high rise in blood sugar.

Most Scientists Disagree with Dr. Davis and Dr. Perlmutter
Many studies show that people who eat whole grains have a lowering of blood cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure, and are less likely to suffer diabetes, heart disease or strokes. The Dietary Guidelines of the American Heart Association and American Diabetes Association both recommend whole grains.

Just Two More Low-Carbohydrate Diets
Dr. Davis recommends reducing carbohydrates to between 50-100 grams a day (diabetics to fewer than 30 grams a day). His diet is almost identical to the old Atkins Diet. However, his diet is not low in calories. The key to weight loss is to take in fewer calories or burn more calories. Dr. Davis’s first-day meals provide up to 3000 calories, and his last-day meals add up to about 3500 calories. This huge intake of calories will make most non-exercising North Americans fat.

Other Unsupported Claims
Dr. Davis is not a researcher, but he makes absurd, unsupported claims that avoiding wheat improves athletic performance, improves mood, reduces mood swings, improves concentration, improves sleep, increases energy, slows skin aging and improves coordination. Dr. Perlmutter wants you to believe that avoiding gluten will prevent or treat dementia, depression, ADHD, migraines, epilepsy, Tourette’s syndrome and much more.

The Mediterranean and DASH Diets Include Whole Grains
Most of the recent scientific reviews on how diet affects health have proclaimed the Mediterranean and DASH diets to be the most healthful. Both recommend wheat and whole grains. These high-plant, high-carbohydrate diets are supported by studies showing that they are associated with reduced rates of dementia, heart attacks, blood pressure, cancers and strokes.

Celiac Disease
A small percentage of North Americans suffer from celiac disease and they should avoid wheat, as well as rye, barley and possibly oats. (Oats are often stored in the same silos used to store wheat, rye and barley, so they can be contaminated with gluten from the other grains). When a germ gets into your body, your immunity recognizes that its surface proteins on cells are different from your proteins, so you produce cells and proteins called antibodies that attach to and kill the germs. Sometimes a person’s immunity treats certain foods as invading germs and attacks the food to cause disease. Wheat, rye and barley contain gluten, a protein that can turn on a person’s immunity to cause disease.

If you have chronic indigestion or suspect that wheat makes you sick, check with your doctor and get blood tests for antibodies to gluten. Do not just avoid wheat and go on a gluten-free diet. Long-term avoidance of gluten can lower blood levels of gluten antibodies that are used to diagnose celiac disease. So long-term avoidance of wheat will cause a negative test for wheat antibodies, even if you have celiac disease. If the test shows that you have antibodies to gluten, you will need a biopsy of the small intestine to confirm the diagnosis. Since celiac disease is genetic and runs in families, you can get a genetic test to see if you are susceptible to developing celiac disease. It is controversial whether people can have negative antibodies and biopsy for celiac disease and still be sensitive to wheat, so sometimes doctors prescribe a gluten-free diet to see if a person’s symptoms improve.

Unrealistic Promises and Major Failings of Wheat Belly
1) Dr. Davis blames wheat for the health problems that are caused by refined carbohydrates. Most scientists disagree with his blanket condemnation of wheat.
2) He has no discussion of exercise, which is essential for long-term weight loss.
3) He restricts healthful foods like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, legumes and fruits. This requirement has no scientific support whatsoever.
4) He allows beef, pork and full-fat cheeses, which I believe (supported by many studies) are associated with increased risk for heart attacks, certain cancers and premature death.
5) He claims that wheat increases belly fat that causes diabetes. The Framingham study shows that people who eat at least two servings per day of refined grains or three servings per day of whole grains have the least belly fat (Am J of Clin Nutr, 2010;9:1165)
6) He claims that rheumatoid arthritis can be cured by avoiding wheat. This is contrary to what the literature shows. People who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis have the same incidence of gluten intolerance as those who don’t have that disease (Scand J Rheumatol, 2010;39:292). Furthermore, people with celiac disease are not at increased risk for rheumatoid arthritis (Clin Exp Rheumatol 2006;24:325)
7) His list of conditions caused by eating wheat is unbelievable: Type 2 Diabetes, Acid reflux, Irritable bowel syndrome, Rheumatoid arthritis, Asthma, Schizophrenia, Autism, Breast cancer, Pancreatic cancer, Colon cancer, Prostate cancer, Type 1 diabetes, Osteopenia and osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cataracts, Erectile dysfunction, Kidney disease, Dry eyes, Alzheimers, Atherosclerosis, Hyperlipidemia, Non-alcoholic fatty, liver disease, Non-alcoholic steatosis, Heart disease, Cerebellar ataxia, Nystagmus, Myoclonus, Chorea, Peripheral neuropathy, Migraines, Dementia, Seizure disorders, ADHD, Acne, Gangrene, Skin ulceration, Dermatitis herpetiformis, Intestinal lymphoma, Angular chelitis, Glossitis, Cutaneous vasculitis, Acanthosis nigricans, Erythema nodosum, Psoriasis, Vitiligo, Behçet’s diseases, Dermatomyositis, Icthyosiform dermatoses, Pyoderma gangrenosum, Alopecia areata, Gynecomastia, Leg edema, Bipolar illness, Dandruff.

Summing Up
Dr. Davis recommends a low-carbohydrate diet to help people lose weight. He masks it under a diatribe against wheat, even though no scientific studies have shown that avoiding wheat causes weight loss. This book is so full of scientific inaccuracies that I do not recommend it. Don’t demonize wheat; instead, work on reducing the sugars and other refined carbohydrates in your diet and stay active enough to burn all of the calories you consume.

"No question if you have wheat allergy you should avoid."
"I see absolutely no reason to avoid gluten unless you have an antibody."
"Processed food and dairy create inflammation. Not wheat, unless you are allergic."
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)  - Page 6 Empty Re: Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Posted by wondering man on 09/04/2015
Great post lizardking! Its a subject bogged down with misunderstanding thats for sure. The people I know who are apparently sensitive to gluten are also eaters of a lot of unhealthy stuff. And as the research shows gluten and carbs dont actually seem to be the problem.

People dont seem to understand carbs at all. It frustrates me when people say they are cutting out carb foods and they mean pizza and chocolate etc which are always high fat foods.

Im uploading a video right now with some thoughts on high carb vs low carb for weight loss. My holiday wifi is pretty slow so ill likely have it up here tomorrow.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Posted by csp on 09/04/2015

Sept 3, 2015 18:31:57 GMT lizardking said:
What are everyone's thoughts on Dr Garth Davis' stance on gluten/whole grain wheat?

I was on the fence with gluten, but as you've pointed out - there isn't really much evidence that gluten is an issue - what further convinced me is I've been eating at a local vegan place the last few weeks, 1-2 times a week (they even forego onion and garlic to cater for Buddhists as well as vegans). One of their most popular dishes is sweet and sour gluten - which is essentially dry fried gluten steaks tossed in with vegetables and sweet and sour sauce, it tastes absolutely amazing. The first time I bought it, I asked the older gentleman from the store about gluten, he basically said in broken english "no no, its fine, good for you, nothing bad".
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Posted by marleyites on 09/05/2015

Because I was also on the fence about gluten ...

Until I reasoned that gluten could not possibly be isolated as a problem UNTIL all GMO was eliminated from the diet.

As long as GMO-anything is in the diet, it will contaminate all other result when trying to find a dietary culprit related to the problem.

And that includes eating animals that have been fed GMO.

For that reason alone, I am highly shillspicious of any expert making any recommendation that doesn't first say:

"oh, you goy patient, here's what to do about your digestion trouble. stop eating all GMO. stop eating all meat and animal products. start meditating and exercising daily. start using cannabis in most fat that you take during the day. drink a gallon of water every day, while taking 1/4 tsp natural, mineral-rich salt dissolved on the tongue before watering. then come back in 3 months after you do this and see how you feel at that point."

The biggest problem with what I wrote ^ is that the doctor/system will lo$e on the tests, the office visits, the prescription drugs, and the over the counter drug sales (of which they will have stock investments). And, the simple protocol described above might just fix the problem, which would be bad, bad news, on many levels, for the deceivers/system.

To healthy, happy livity, blessings be.

/s/ Marleyites
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Posted by thinkforyourself on 09/05/2015

Sept 4, 2015 14:32:33 GMT marleyites said:
Because I was also on the fence about gluten ...

Until I reasoned that gluten could not possibly be isolated as a problem UNTIL all GMO was eliminated from the diet.

I imagine that Gluten is like Fructose; completely safe and healthy, as long as you eat it in moderation, as part of an all Organic and non-GMO diet, and as long as you don't extract it unnaturally.

This comment about Fructose says it well:

''Fructose is primarily metabolized by the liver, and diets high in fructose have been implicated in cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol (read it here). High fructose diets are also implicated in leptin resistance (read it here and here). Leptin is a hormone involved in fat storage, and it, along with other hormones, helps our bodies to know when we are full. Fructose, compared with glucose, is also implicated in insulin resistance (read it here).

We hear “fructose” and think of fruit sugar, and so it seems benign. But it’s worth remembering that when we consume the naturally occurring sugars in fruit, they come with a complement of other nutrients: fiber, pectin, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that you don’t otherwise consume when you use a concentrated sweetener like agave nectar.''

Basically, eat Gluten and Fructose in their natural organic settings, not in mass-processed foods (as long as you are not a Celiac).
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by wondering man on 09/05/2015
Sept 4, 2015 14:37:35 GMT thinkforyourself said:
''Fructose is primarily metabolized by the liver, and diets high in fructose have been implicated in cardiovascular disease and high cholesterol (read it here). High fructose diets are also implicated in leptin resistance (read it here and here). Leptin is a hormone involved in fat storage, and it, along with other hormones, helps our bodies to know when we are full. Fructose, compared with glucose, is also implicated in insulin resistance (read it here).

Aye its worth always pointing out that these studies on fructose are pretty much exclusively done on high fructose corn syrup, and not on soluble fibre rich fruit.

One of the points in my video (which will be up tomorrow as the net here simply cant handle it) is that fibre regulates the speed at which sugar gets into our blood, and for that reason its why I prefer the glycemic load as a measure rather than the typical glycemic index which doesnt consider the fibre.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by csp on 09/05/2015
This makes me very happy:
www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/16/9159861/ufc-news-facebook-heavyweight-mark-hunt-switching-to-vegan-diet

Mark Hunt, heavyweight K1/MMA legend - very humble gentleman, is going vegan!
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Posted by Admin on 09/05/2015
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by thinkforyourself on 09/07/2015
Proof that the US Government is scared of vegan foods becoming popular:

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/02/usda-american-egg-board-hampton-creek-just-mayo
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by lizardking on 09/07/2015
An Italian Court Just Ruled that Babies Can Be Vegan and Healthy

A court in Alto Adige—a region in Northern Italy known for its abundant winemaking—recently ruled on what is being called a groundbreaking case for the recognition and rights of alternative diets in the Mediterranean nation. And (shocker) the court actually ended up ruling in favor of the plaintiff and her family’s right to raise their child vegan.

The dispute in question began in February, when a young mother from the town of Merano notified her ten-month-old son’s nursery school that the child would be switching to a vegan diet. No big deal, right? 

Not the case in Italy, evidently. The nursery decided that not only would they refuse to comply with the mother’s wish to feed the kid a vegan diet, they also demanded to see a medical certificate proving the health and welfare of the aspiring vegan infant. The shit hit the fan when, after the mother refused the dubious request, the nursery expelled the child in retaliation. A legal battle ensued. The local education authorities defended their actions with the claim that a vegan diet is dangerous for children, especially infants.

Tthe Italian mamma called bullshit. She claimed in court that not only were the benefits of a vegan diet scientifically proven, the nursery had been unfair and disproportionate in its expulsion of her son.

The judge agreed with her, stating that the expulsion was discriminatory and that the nursery’s request for a detailed medical certificate was not in fitting with current social norms.

Thusly, the court ordered the bouncing bambino to be reinstated at the nursery and further ruled that the local school authority should pay for the family’s legal costs.

Carlo Prisco, the mother’s lawyer, told La Stampa that the case was a “milestone” for the recognition of alternative diets. He went on to add that the outcome of the case would doubtlessly prove useful in future cases “when institutions and public administration attempt to stop citizens from exercising their right to make ethical dietary choices.”
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Posted by schpankme on 09/08/2015
We as modern day people need to keep up with Scientific Discovery and Low-Carb Gurus by renaming FAT, CARBS and PROTEIN:

FAT renamed LEAN

CARBS renamed FAT

PROTEIN renamed BROTEIN

My diet is LEAN, full of BROTEIN, and absent of FAT.  

/sarcasm off
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by schpankme on 09/08/2015
We as modern day people need to keep up with Scientific Discovery and Low-Carb Gurus by renaming FAT, CARBS and PROTEIN:

FAT renamed LEAN

CARBS renamed FAT

PROTEIN renamed BROTEIN

My diet is LEAN, full of BROTEIN, and absent of FAT.  

/sarcasm off
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by csp on 09/11/2015
I can't find the exact previous post, but I do remember seeing a post regarding holistic practitioners showing up dead in the recent years. (It may have even been the supressed science thread, so feel free to move this)

But this showed up today:
edgytruth.com/2015/09/10/30-holistic-doctors-poisoned-at-holistic-convention/?utm_source=CCNewsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=HolisticPoisoned
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Posted by csp on 09/14/2015
Just another FYI, the YouTuber FunForLouis (who is actually featured early in this thread, trying to eat a raw road kill rabbit..) watched Cowspiracy last week and is now going vegan too! 

You can see him talking about it at the end of this video:

He has a large subscriber base, so hopefully he does some work to spread the message Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)  - Page 6 Smiley
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Posted by lizardking on 09/19/2015
Here is another "meat substitute" (as csp mentioned earlier):

Seitan - The Vegetarian Wheat Meat 

I get blank stares when I ask my vegetarian cooking students if they've ever eaten seitan (say-tahn). Yet, hands go up when I ask if anybody has ever eaten mock chicken, beef, or pork in a Chinese vegetarian restaurant. The name is foreign but you may be more familiar with the product than you think.

According to Barbara and Leonard Jacobs in their excellent book Cooking with Seitan, The Complete Vegetarian "Wheat-Meat" Cookbook, "seitan has been a staple food among vegetarian monks of China, Russian wheat farmers, peasants of Southeast Asia, and Mormons. People who had traditionally eaten wheat had also discovered a method to extract the gluten and create a seitan-like product." 

Seitan is derived from the protein portion of wheat. It stands in for meat in many recipes and works so well that a number of vegetarians avoid it because the texture is too "meaty."

Gluten can be flavored in a variety of ways. When simmered in a traditional broth of soy sauce or tamari, ginger, garlic, and kombu (seaweed), it is called seitan. I refer to all flavored gluten as seitan. Making gluten the traditional way is time consuming. It calls for mixing 8 cups of flour with 3 to 5 cups of water and forming a dough. The dough is then kneaded and rinsed under running water to remove the wheat starch. After about 20 to 30 minutes of kneading and rinsing, which to me seems like a considerable amount of time, the resulting 2 or so cups of stretchy gluten is evident. At that point the gluten needs to be simmered in broth for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours or more.

Luckily there are some shortcut methods for making gluten (see recipe) that make it a convenient food to prepare. I have had the most luck using high gluten flour or vital wheat gluten, although I have found that until you become familiar with the texture you are aiming for during the mixing and kneading process, the results will vary somewhat.

The added benefit of using this method is that you can flavor the gluten during the kneading process by adding herbs and spices of your choosing other than the traditional ginger and garlic. You can use poultry seasoning or chicken flavor broth powder to make a "chicken" flavored seitan, or a blend with paprika, cayenne, fennel, garlic, and Italian seasoning for a "sausage" flavor. Flavoring is limited only by your imagination.

For some, a safer first step is to purchase one of the commercially available mixes. Arrowhead Mills' Seitan Quick Mix or any of the Knox Mountain products, which include Wheat Balls, Chicken Wheat, and Not-So- Sausage, yield a tasty product. Just be sure to follow the box directions exactly.

Gluten containing more water or which has been kneaded less tends to get puffy instead of being dense. Some people prefer the less dense result. I like gluten to be quite firm, as it substitutes more easily for animal foods in recipes.

-

More cooking information at the source.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Posted by lizardking on 09/19/2015
Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)  - Page 6 Tumblr_nuve3xvo1T1rrl19ro1_500
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by schpankme on 09/19/2015
The mass extinction of man lays before him, dead and bleeding on his plate.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by lizardking on 09/20/2015
“There’s no reason to birth 100 billion animals into suffering so that we can get cancer, so that we can destroy the planet.”
-Russell Simmons

“To examine whether something is 'humane' first determine whether you would want it done to you.”
-Andrea Kladar
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Posted by lizardking on 09/21/2015
“If we didn’t hunt the deer population would explode.”

I’m sure you’ve all heard once or twice from hunters who make the case that while factory farming is wrong, there is nothing unethical about eating animals who have been hunted in the wild. After all, the reasoning goes, the animals live a completely natural life just as nature intended, and, according to hunters, generally die more quickly, and with less fear and pain, than they would experience with other predators.

But all of this begs the question of necessity. Most North Americans and Europeans (and many others) who hunt do not do so because they have to in order to survive. Most of these hunters shop at grocery stores for at least some portion of their food, stores where they have access to dried beans, nuts, grains, produce and other nutritious plant proteins. In such cases, hunting animals for food is unnecessary, and, like farming animals, constitutes the infliction of violence and death on animals we have no need to harm at all.

As Brian Luke writes in Brutal: Manhood and the Exploitation of Animals, “North American men do not hunt out of necessity; they typically do not hunt to protect people or animals, nor to keep themselves or their families from going hungry. Rather, they pursue hunting for its own sake, as a sport. This point is obscured by the fact that many hunters consume the flesh of their kills with their families, thus giving the appearance that hunting is a subsistence tactic. A close reading of the hunting literature, however, reveals that hunters eat the flesh of their kills as an ex post facto attempt at morally legitimating an activity they pursue for its own sake. The hunter often portrays himself as providing for his family through a successful kill and ‘harvest.’ This posture seeks to ritually reestablish a stereotypical masculine provider role less available now than may once have been. In reality hunting today is typically not a source of provision but actually drains family resources. Deer hunters, for example, spend on average twenty dollars per pound of venison, once all the costs of equipment, licenses, transportation, unsuccessful hunts, and so forth are calculated.”

Then there is the defense that hunting animals is necessary to wildlife “population control.” This argument is especially common as a justification for hunting deer. But as Doris Lin writes in, What Will Happen to Animals If Everyone Goes Vegan?

“Hunters sometimes argue that if they were to stop hunting, the deer population would explode. This is a false argument, because if hunting were to stop, we would also stop the practices that increase the deer population. State wildlife management agencies artificially boost the deer population in order to increase recreational hunting opportunities for hunters. By clearcutting forests, planting deer-preferred plants and requiring tenant farmers to leave a certain amount of their crops unharvested in order to feed the deer, the agencies are creating the edge habitat that is preferred by deer and also feeding the deer. If we stop hunting, we would also stop these tactics that increase the deer population.

If we stopped hunting, we would also stop breeding animals in captivity for hunters. Many nonhunters are unaware of state and private programs that breed quail, partridges and pheasants in captivity, for the purpose of releasing them in the wild, to be hunted.”

And in Scientific Arguments Against Hunting, Lin writes,

“Big “game” animals like white-tailed deer and black bears rarely exceed their biological carrying capacity – the maximum number of individuals the ecosystem will support without threatening other species. If they exceed that number, a lack of food will kill the weakest individuals, and will also cause the pregnant females to resorb embryos and have fewer offspring. The strongest will survive and the population will become healthier.

Unlike nature, hunters select the small and the weak to survive — reverse evolution. Instead of targeting the young, old, or sick individuals, hunters kill the largest, strongest males. Because hunters prefer large males with big horns, bighorn sheep in Alberta, Canada are now smaller, with smaller horns, compared to thirty years ago. And because hunters prefer to kill elephants with tusks, the African and Asian elephants that have a genetic mutation that leaves them tuskless are now dominating those populations.” - Free From Harm
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 pm

What’s wrong with silk?

Silk is the fiber that silkworms weave to make cocoons. To obtain silk, distributors boil the worms alive inside their cocoons. Anyone who has ever seen worms startle when their dark homes are uncovered must acknowledge that worms are sensate—they produce endorphins and have a physical response to pain. 

-PETA
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 pm

Posted by paranoidgramdroid on 09/21/2015
I've been away from this site for a month or so whilst I made some huge changes in my life. One of the changes was diet. I have been a pescetarian for the past 5 years but this thread inspired me to go full raw vegan. So thanks all for the info shared on this thread Stop Eating Your Friends! (Go Vegan)  - Page 6 Smiley

With reference to the recent comments about gluten, I was actually starting to steer away from gluten several months ago but it is now banished from my life. About 2 months ago I was discussing with my sister-in-law my reasons for going gluten-free, sluggishness etc, when I asked her "haven't you noticed that gluten and gluttony are two very similar words?" she replied "gluten comes from Latin so don't try to pull the wool over my eyes" with that I asked "have you ever considered that Latin is the wool?" "Don't be ridiculous" she snapped at me. The debate was over. People react like you are trying to hurt them when you try to get them to step outside conventional thought.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 pm

$4.6 Billion: The Gluten Free Fad Cashes In

A year ago I noted an alarming increase in celiac disease patients - it seemed to be afflicting a lot of rich, white, American women.

Outrage and scorn were delivered to my door; dozens of comments vilified me for saying it was not a real disease - which would have been fine, had I actually said that. Yet dwarfing those comments by hundreds were the anecdotal claims of people who had self-diagnosed themselves as celiac, at least until they discovered that since it was an actual life-threatening disease, they couldn't claim they had it, so they had reverted to being gluten sensitive, or even intolerant - vague and non-descriptive and requiring no pesky diagnosis.

It turns out I was not wrong and the way to know I was not wrong is to follow the money. 'Gluten free' became a $4.2 billion industry in the last year, despite the fact that there are the same number of celiac patients and unless you are celiac, going gluten-free is doing you no good. If you are clueless, like Lady Gaga, you even think it is a diet, which might explain why she ballooned up after going off gluten.

Advertising is all about perception, and if you are willing to perceive that going gluten free makes you healthier even if you are not celiac, someone is willing to either label their product that way or charge you more for something new.

And if you like buying meaningless labels, I have good news. Since the FDA has clarified what being called gluten-free means, a lot of products are going to get a new label, even though they never had gluten in the first place; like ice cream, potato chips and meat. Hey, if people will buy non-GMO rock salt, they will buy a package that reads gluten-free meat.

Phil Lempert, a food-industry analyst who runs SuperMarketGuru.com, was quoted by Ad Age as predicting that "the bubble will burst" in a few years. "Gluten-free products are expensive, so that will drive shoppers away from buying them once they realize little or no benefits from the diet."

Well, there are still 3 million actual celiacs, so the market can't really burst. They likely appreciate the greater choices, if not the scorn of being lumped in with Hollywood actresses. And then there is the market that just never learns. A lot of people bought that book "Wheat Belly" despite the fact that it had even less actual science than Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring". So they are going to keep on spending. 

And companies will keep on making the stuff because gluten-free products are 242% pricier and no one minds - at least until the health fad types move onto something new. Then the first rule of labeling will kick in: The most important label is the price tag.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Posted by schpankme on 09/21/2015
All these "labels" are money makers, it's not whats in the package, but whats printed on the label,

that sales the product.

Salt-Free
Low-Fat
Protein
Heart Healthy

It costs up to 60% more to buy Canned - Tomatoes, labeled "Salt-Free". 
Clearly it costs more to put in less ingredients.

It costs up to 30% more to buy Canned - Refried Beans, labeled "Low-Fat".
What makes the beans low-fat?  They leave out the Oil (100% Fat).

Welcome to the layer cake, it has been crafted with the most unbeLIEvable of ingredients. Please 
have a bite and enjoy the most fabulous sensational cake in the whole world.
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Posted by Jimmy on 09/22/2015
Everyone, 

Thanks for the education of this thread. I've been reading through this entire thread for about a month now and watching the documentary videos as well. I tried to stop meat and animal product intake the first day after engulfing myself into this thread for a few hours, but I was getting withdrawal headaches the first couple of days. Since my new education of this thread, I have gradually weened myself off of meat and opted for a plant-based diet. I've been without meat for almost a month now and feel great.

I've also kept up with my exercise regimen (cardio, weight training, yoga 3-5 times a week) while adopting this new lifestyle and I've noticed a significant reduction in body fat so far. I also feel a lot lighter in my stomach area, and I'm more focused and creative when I make music. Before becoming vegetarian I was 195 pounds at 6'2" height. I am now 190 pounds. My ultimate goal is to become raw vegan, as I am totally convinced now that it is the best way to live.

I tried discussing this topic with several indoctrinated males, or meat heads, and they all act smug about the idea. A personal trainer buddy of mine insisted that my body needs meat and then proceeded to ignore me after I debated him about the topic. In my recent discussions, women generally seem to be more responsive to being vegetarian or vegan than men. Anyhow, cheers for all the good information!
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by lizardking Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Posted by schpankme on 09/22/2015

Sept 22, 2015 7:03:23 GMT Jimmy said:
Thanks for the education of this thread
stop meat and animal product intake
I was getting withdrawal headaches

Three (3) weeks into my Plant Based Conversion (HCLF), I experienced what could only be described as Opium Detoxification.

This detox from Animal Cholesterol and Fat lasted 5-days.

Diarrhea
Anxiety
Agitation
Irritability
Heightened paranoia
Sweats
Nausea
Vomiting
Chills
lizardking
lizardking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next